Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Tavern on the Green - Hawthorne Inn: Salem, MA

As Thanksgiving approaches there is much to celebrate. I am so very thankful for my loving friends and family who support me every step of the way, a place to sleep and food to eat, for the opportunities that I am granted in life, and of course - chicken fingers.

My Thanksgiving break began on Friday, November 20th and as my mother picked me up from school at approximately 11:43 AM on that crisp, sunny November morning; we decided to stop and get some lunch before we began our trip.

"How about the Hawthorne Inn?" She asked.

"Sounds wonderful." I replied.

She told me that as a kid we used to go there all the time: my sisters, cousins, aunts, nana and I. I was too young to have any recollection of this. After traveling ten minutes we reached our destination, walking in to a beautiful hotel that reminded me exactly of my nana, no wonder she loved this place. The floors were dark brown and hardwood; a few beautifully patterned floral rugs were elegantly placed around the lobby. Multiple old-fashioned couches were placed alongside dark, wooden coffee tables and the atmosphere was calm and certain.

Inside the tavern itself, the scene was not much different. A hardwood bar area was to the right when you walk in, and to the left was a fireplace. It was a small area with about ten tables and we decided to sit at a spot next to the window.

My mom and I knew what we were ordering the second we got there, she always gets a burger and I get chicken fingers - anywhere we go.

As soon as the chicken fingers arrived I was a little thrown off. They were an odd color and they didn't look cooked all the way. I was nervous - this type of situation usually means bad news.

I took one bite and my taste buds bursted with happiness. These chicken fingers were one of the most flavorful meals I have ever had the opportunity to indulge in. Because of the horrendous look of these chicken fingers I was completely thrown off guard, however, delightfully pleased.

Although not as crispy as I usually like them, these chicken fingers were juicy and cooked perfectly, neither under or over cooked. They had an impressive ratio of chewiness to tenderness and were satisfying in all ways possible. The Tavern on the Green really shows you not to judge a book by its cover. This meal was a delectable sensation and I would definitely recommend them if you're in the area.

If you're planning your Thanksgiving meal, Turkey may be the main component - but chicken never fails as a friendly sidekick!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

1 comment: